1. Wash beets and wrap in foil.
2. Place in 400 F oven for about 1 hour and 30 minutes or until knife slides easily into beets.
3. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
4. Remove skin and slice thinly; set aside.
5. Spread greens onto a platter and sprinkle with red onions and then top with beets.
6. With a chef’s knife and using a sawing motion, cut skin and white pith from oranges and cut between membranes to make segments.
7. Sprinkle over greens; set aside.
8. Orange poppy seed dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together oil, orange rind and juice, vinegar, mustard, honey, garlic and poppy seeds.
9. Drizzle over salad mixture and serve.
This delicious recipe is from the Half Your Plate campaign that encourages Canadians to fill half of their plate with fruits and veggies. I have to say – beets are a tasty way to do that! This is the first time I have roasted beets and I cannot tell you how impressed I am with the flavor! It will be a veggie that I will be adding to my meals on a regular basis. I also sautéed the beet greens with garlic, some Dijon mustard, and tomatoes and topped with feta cheese – wow! What a great side dish! I encourage you to experiment with this versatile veggie!
I am super passionate about helping people understand the science of food and making it work for them. I love coming up with healthy and tasty meals for my family and sharing them with you!
Have a question? Need nutrition advice? Want a meal plan designed just for you? Just ask me!Contact Laurie